Tuesday, December 13, 2005

where do you start after so much and so long...?

the last time I wrote on this blog, it was to announce that I had gotten the job, and I was pretty excited about that. now, a bit more than a week after starting, i'm happy to notice that I am still fairly excited. things are going really well, the office is a great size and everyone there is really friendly and helpful (which is good since I need quite a bit of help). i've been given real jobs, which take me 5 times longer than if anyone else did it, but I think I am learning along the way, and generally going ok. my first conclusion about the purpose of work experience is to make you feel really stoopid and help you realise that everyone goes through that and one point or another... well I feel stoopid at the moment, and I wonder how long it is going to last...
there are two things I am finding harder to adapt to... and that's the fact that what I am doing is for real and not for some 5 minute long jury, which means that things actually have to work and be accurate, which i find pretty difficult still, and the other thing is that I still don;t understand when people are meant to do stuff outside of work, like writing emails, or food-shopping etc... I've been working until 6:30 or 7 every night so far... but it;s ok, i'll get used to that too....
Anyway, besides work, it has also been a really good week with lot's of stuff happening! I'll just quickly run through them, without too much detail...
saturday 3rd and sunday 4th of Dec : we went to Albury for Emma's 21st
Monday: 1st day of work
tuesday night: graduation exhibition opening night in Woolloomoolloo (pretty boring and bad bad food)
Wednesday: My B-DAY!!!! we had sushi on the beach in Coogee.... and Chris got me a wonderful new lens for the camera (28mm)
Thursday: office x-mas party: Golf in the arvo and dinner at night in Paddington
Friday: hungover at work....
Saturday: Breakfast bbq in Coogee with a small crew (that was really nice), clothes shopping at Burkenhead Point, beers at Kris' in Ashfield
Sunday: Heleana's b-day cruise, awesome as you can well imagine, lots of yummy food, drinks and swimming!!
and back to work.................
Well I hope that gives you a small idea of what;s been happening and gives me an excuse for not having been the best with emails.....
I love you all so much, your laura
ps: Caz, thank you for your email, don;t worry about being late, I know you were thinking of me and i was thinking of you too, wish you could have been here, but we'll have plenty more to celebrate together later, and in the mean time, you can travel the world and i can commute to work, but no matter what, our paths will meet again soon enough... I miss you a lot and love you even more!!
pps: I took many photos with the new lens of the bbq etc... which i will try putting on the blog sometime soon hpefully, doing my best at the moment...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey there lady lady

sounds like you are having a great time, which is fantastic

in funny news, there was a south african on the trip to the nirth who really appreciated our safari of life analogy

love you
xxx

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your day by day account of last week. As you rightly say, we all go through the period of feeling "stoopid" at work. I remember thinking I'd never understand anything and even wasting tears on it and then a bit later, I realized I could do it all blindfolded. So glad your colleagues are noice and that you were hired just in time for the Xmas party ! Yes, this is all for real and so are you, so continue to make the most of it : beach, barbies, booze (well, easy on that), beau boyfriend, business ... You're just missing the essential "c" words : Caz and clothes !

Anonymous said...

Remercie Chris de t'avoir offert ce 28 mm pour ton anniv, c'est excatement le genre de cadeau auquel j'aurais pensé. Mais peut-être aurais-je pris un 24...

En tous cas si je vois passer un 28 à décentrement et que j'ai encore un peu d'argent, je te le prendrai. C'est génial pour les photos d'architecture.

Tes nouvelles sont bonnes, je t'embrasse,

Papa