Wednesday, September 14, 2005

salaam namaste


I went to see a Bollywood movie last night with my friend Suajata from Uni. I has asked her to introduce me to the intimate universe of the largest movie industry in the world and it was well worth it. Plus, I'm usually the one showing off my tan but i hadn't felt so white since I went to a Cap Verde wedding ceremony...
The story was soapy and the fashion tendencies of Indian men was questionable but overall, i had a great time, it was refreshing and put me in a good mood. The singing was fun and it was heard not to take part in a bit of head and shoulders swinging action.... It was interesting to see what made people in the audience (99% indian, except for me...) laugh, the sense of humor they display is quite different since characters are pretty much caricatures of people and the jokes are pretty heavy and obvious but I can't deny that it made me laugh from time to time too, and, I know that might seem surprising but I actually found some charm in the main male character and couldn't help smiling at him.... weird....
I guess I hadn't realised that for a lot of people Bollywood is so real, with favorite actors, superstars, exciting movies coming out and such a big part of a different popular culture... All I can say is that it's a big world out there, and it was cool taking part in something new...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once saw a movie called "Salaam Bombay" (or Mumbai now) but it was serious whereas yours sounds like great fun. Good for you discovering a new universe of beautiful people and fun !